Bucks, Ducks & Brews
Welcome to Bucks, Ducks and Brews! If you are new to the site feel free to browse through the forum but we would love to have have you join us as a member. To join please click "Register" below and create a username, it is totally free and no personal info is required accept for an email address. Once you have created a username you will receive an email to the address you provided to activate. Thanks for your support and we look forward to meeting you.
Connect with BDB on
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+ YouTube RSS Feed
Latest topics
» Looks like a wonderful winter stew - and nice game recipe site
2013-01-03, 21:38 by Maddox

» A little Funny to share....
2012-10-18, 23:11 by Maddox

» Grassing in the blind!
2012-09-30, 20:57 by dbagshaw

» 2012 Bustin' Clays!
2012-09-24, 23:09 by Maddox

» What is that? Unexpected Trail Cam Pictures
2012-09-19, 22:02 by Maddox

» New Glarus Brewing Company - Spotted Cow
2012-09-18, 20:20 by dbagshaw

» Beaver removal project!
2012-09-15, 10:22 by dbagshaw

» Preseason dreams!
2012-09-13, 08:12 by dbagshaw

» Miller Brewery Tour
2012-09-13, 08:10 by dbagshaw

» Finally some trout fishing!
2012-09-06, 11:18 by Maddox

I forgot my password

What's the best spread?

Go down

What's the best spread?

Post  Maddox on 2010-11-22, 01:41

Now I know this is a loaded question and it will cause great debate (I hope) I wanted to get everyone’s opinion on what the best goose decoy spread is. The group I am hunting with is using 3 dozen shells as well as half a dozen v-boards. When we were out on Friday for our first hunt we went with a V setup where the layout blinds were at the bottom of the V in hopes the geese would land down the hole in the middle. Now of course, as I am sure happens to everyone else from time to time, the geese seemed to want to hover over a lot, land behind and just in general not cooperate. Either way this was by far the best goose hunt I had been (not that there have been that many) and we had 100’s if not thousands of geese working us over throughout the morning.

This year is intended to be a total learning experience and that is just what it was Friday. There were times we should have unleashed earlier and times where we should have waited them out but either way I have a feeling learning to read the geese and their “body language” is going to be the key to killing limits. While I am working on this learning curve hopefully you can provide some knowledge that you have already fumbled through in the past. Any help you can provide with decoy spreads, blind setups, calling techniques or good luck chants would be greatly appreciated! I am headed out Friday and Saturday morning so hopefully I will have got some of your wisdom and will be able to report back on some successful hunts.

The overall goal this year is to have at least one hunt where we kill a limit of birds. In the last 3 years we have had some great days but “the limit” still eludes me.

REMEMBER: Please click "Register" and sign up so you can reply. It's free and their is no annoying marketing emails!
Maddox
Admin

http://www.bucksducksandbrews.com

Back to top Go down

Geese will land into even the slightest breeze. Set the spread in a fashion that will leave an opening where your blinds are. Set your dekes in groups of 3 or 4 in a large C or J pattern and always have the wind in your face. Good luck.

Post  Guest on 2010-11-22, 10:27

Maddox wrote:Now I know this is a loaded question and it will cause great debate (I hope) I wanted to get everyone’s opinion on what the best goose decoy spread is. The group I am hunting with is using 3 dozen shells as well as half a dozen v-boards. When we were out on Friday for our first hunt we went with a V setup where the layout blinds were at the bottom of the V in hopes the geese would land down the hole in the middle. Now of course, as I am sure happens to everyone else from time to time, the geese seemed to want to hover over a lot, land behind and just in general not cooperate. Either way this was by far the best goose hunt I had been (not that there have been that many) and we had 100’s if not thousands of geese working us over throughout the morning.

This year is intended to be a total learning experience and that is just what it was Friday. There were times we should have unleashed earlier and times where we should have waited them out but either way I have a feeling learning to read the geese and their “body language” is going to be the key to killing limits. While I am working on this learning curve hopefully you can provide some knowledge that you have already fumbled through in the past. Any help you can provide with decoy spreads, blind setups, calling techniques or good luck chants would be greatly appreciated! I am headed out Friday and Saturday morning so hopefully I will have got some of your wisdom and will be able to report back on some successful hunts.

The overall goal this year is to have at least one hunt where we kill a limit of birds. In the last 3 years we have had some great days but “the limit” still eludes me.

Back to top Go down

Re: What's the best spread?

Post  Maddox on 2010-11-22, 11:28

How do you feel about the postitioning of the sun? We were recently at a Cabelas seminar that Jeff Foiles was giving and he was saying to have the sun at your back even if you had to setup cross wind. When we were out on Friday we were looking right into the sun but the wind was directly at our back. I was wondering if that caused some of our problems with Geese being able to pick us out. Certainly the other thing I think we needed to do was grass in the layouts better. They looked good but in the future I think I am going to go overboard just to ensure we don't get seen.

On your J or C setup are you at the bottom of the curve or are you setup on one of the sides?

I am thinking Friday and Saturday when I am out I will try to take a picture of our setup so folks can take a look and see where some improvements can be made.

REMEMBER: Please click "Register" and sign up so you can reply. It's free and their is no annoying marketing emails!
Maddox
Admin

http://www.bucksducksandbrews.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What's the best spread?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down